- Fox News has a conservative bias. Stoicism doesn’t have a conservative bias. Fox News specifically runs news stories and commentaries designed to promote laissez-faire capitalism, anti-immigration policy, the military industrial complex, and a whole host of conservative issues. Stoicism just tells you to try to observe the world without morally judging it. As Shakespeare said, “nothing is either good or bad but thinking makes it so.”
- Fox News has only been around since 1996 AD/CE. Stoicism has been around since 300 BC/BCE. Stoicism has really proven it can stand the test of time. Sure, it merged with Christianity during the Dark Ages but it came back on its own during the Renaissance. It has influenced many great thinkers during the ancient Roman times, Medieval times, Renaissance times, Age of Enlightenment, and current.
- Fox News along with many other news networks drummed up a lot of jingoistic passion in the United States to go to war in Iraq in March of 2003. Stoicism doesn’t drum up negative passion e.g. jingoism. In fact, it tries to calm down your negative passions and increase your compassion. If Stoicism was more largely practiced in the US, we’d never rush into war. In fact, we’d try to be much more diplomatic than we are now.
- Fox News has Sean Hannity. Great Stoic thinkers, ancient and modern, do not include Sean Hannity.
- Finally, Fox News commentary is all about pointing out negative attributes of Democrat politicians and pointing out positive attributes of Republican politicians (unless they’re not conservative enough). Stoicism ignores partisan divide and tries help you realistically assess people’s character. So a Stoic is only going to judge politicos based on what they know of their virtues, particularly their justice and wisdom.